Vapor Intrusion Mitigation
Protect Indoor Air Quality from Harmful Chemical Vapors
Vapor intrusion mitigation protects a structure from vapors produced by subsurface chemical contamination in the ground below.
It shields your occupants’ health.
What is vapor intrusion?
Vapor intrusion occurs when chemicals in soil or groundwater migrate out of the ground to contaminate indoor air in a structure above. These vapors may include:
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Semi-volatile organic compounds
- Inorganics, such as mercury or hydrogen sulfide
Typically, vapors enter a structure by way of its foundation, through cracks from settling, gaps around plumbing and utility lines, or even through the pores of the concrete itself.
What’s the danger of vapor Intrusion?
Vapor intrusion poses a risk for anyone breathing the contaminated air. Health risks can be immediate or long term depending on the chemicals, the vapor concentration, the amount of ventilation, and how much time people are exposed. In rare cases, vapor buildup from chemicals such as gasoline can create a risk of explosion.
Because of these dangers, vapor intrusion is a significant environmental issue that has become a matter of concern for regulators as well as real estate developers, insurance carriers, building owners, and structure occupants and residents.
How to mitigate vapor Intrusion
CETCO offers a suite of sub-slab vapor intrusion barrier systems comprised of membranes, geomembranes, geotextile reinforcing, protection layers, drainage, and venting components.
|Membranes||Geomembranes||Geotextile reinforcing||Protection layers||Drainage components||Venting components|
LIQUID BOOT Plus
LIQUID BOOT LT
LIQUID BOOT 500
|VI-20||BASEFABRIC T-40 and T-60||ULTRASHIELD G-800 and G-1000||ULTRADRAIN 6200||GEOVENT|
Elements of premier vapor intrusion barrier systems
With over 50 million square feet of successful installations, CETCO vapor intrusion barrier systems are proven protection from dangerous subsurface chemical vapors for hospitals, schools, libraries, high-rise commercial and residential buildings, multi-family housing developments, and major public works projects worldwide.
Critical elements for successful and long-lasting vapor intrusion mitigation include:
- Unique formulation for reliable protection from methane, VOCs, and water vapor
- Fully-adhered system to reduce the risk of uncontrolled gas migration
- Monolithic composition to eliminate potential for seam failures
- Spray application - for numerous advantages over thin-mil and sheet systems, including:
- Tough and flexible barrier, even at low temperatures
- Effective penetration sealing
- No mechanical fastening
- Installation in a range of climates
- Lower diffusion properties
- Superior tensile elongation and bond strengths
- Economical installation
- Long-term, dependable performance
CETCO Quality Assurance
CETCO is the leader and pioneer in cutting-edge environmental products and solutions. Around the globe, our innovative teams of clay mineralogists, chemists, and polymer scientists transform ordinary minerals into extraordinary technology to solve day-to-day problems worldwide.
- Brochure: Environmental Products Overview 4358 KB
- Case Study: 500 Fifth Ave, Seattle - LIQUID BOOT® & ULTRASEAL® 923 KB
- Case Study: Alamitos Ridge Housing Development - LIQUID BOOT® 840 KB
- Case Study: Buffalo Wild Wings Restaurant - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 1343 KB
- Case Study: Canada Post Headquarters - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 815 KB
- Case Study: Chick-Fil-A Restaurant - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier with VI-20 971 KB
- Case Study: Droyers Point Brownfield - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 938 KB
- Case Study: El Centro Medical Clinic - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 876 KB
- Case Study: Fraternity Meadows Housing Development - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 827 KB
- Case Study: Hamlet Middle School - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 737 KB
- Case Study: Hollywood Casino - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 776 KB
- Case Study: Hollywood Film Processing Facility - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 622 KB
- Case Study: Lowe's - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 122 KB
- Case Study: Meadows at Riverwalk - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 1013 KB
- Case Study: Mott Haven School - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 790 KB
- Case Study: Multi-Family Housing Project on Former Superfund Site Contaminated with PCE, Metals, Arsenic 174 KB
- Case Study: Palisades Multi-Family Housing Development - LIQUID BOOT® 604 KB
- Case Study: Pan Am Athletes Village - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 765 KB
- Case Study: Rite Aid Pharmacy - LIQUID BOOT® 797 KB
- Case Study: Sienna Place Homes - LIQUID BOOT® 753 KB
- Case Study: Smith Performing Arts Center - LIQUID BOOT® & ULTRASEAL® 499 KB
- Case Study: Spring Hill Suites - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 501 KB
- Case Study: Toronto Fire Services - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 1037 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: LIQUID BOOT® 500 Spray-Applied Vapor Barrier 402 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: LIQUID BOOT® Spray-Applied Vapor Barrier 457 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: VI-20 Geomembrane 331 KB
|Gas Vapor Mitigation System Supports $400 Million Redevelopment Project - Environmental Science & Engineering Magazine, October 2019|