LIQUID BOOT® Spray-Applied Vapor Barrier
Your Best Shield Against Harmful Chemical Vapors
CETCO LIQUID BOOT® vapor barrier safeguards indoor air quality from vapor intrusion by soil and groundwater contaminants.
Both you and your structure’s occupants will breathe easier.
Shield your structure's air quality
LIQUID BOOT® vapor barrier forms a barrier at a structure’s foundation that prevents vapor intrusion by subsurface chemicals in the ground below, including:
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Semi-volatile organic compounds
- Inorganics, such as mercury or hydrogen sulfide
LIQUID BOOT reduces vapor intrusion from these chemicals to protect against the potentially serious health risks they pose.
Your most effective vapor intrusion mitigation solution
Proven with over 50 million square feet of successful installations worldwide—in hospitals, schools, libraries, high-rise commercial and residential buildings, multi-family housing developments, and major public works projects—LIQUID BOOT is the premier vapor intrusion barrier system.
Spray-applied LIQUID BOOT can be installed in a range of climates on the most complex structural shapes and penetrations, all without nailing, special mastics, or tape or welded seaming. With its rubberized asphalt forming the core of the installation, it bonds securely to most prepared construction material to form a flexible, seamless barrier that accommodates significant stretching. Chemically-resistant LIQUID BOOT features low permeability to gases and vapors and also blocks non-hydrostatic nuisance water.
Easy installation saves you money
Easy to install and easy on your budget, simply spray LIQUID BOOT® over a prepared surface in a single course—it requires only minimum equipment and minimum manpower for a fast, time-saving and cost-saving application.
The LIQUID BOOT product range
LIQUID BOOT seals surfaces and penetrations, creating a seamless, monolithic membrane that fully adheres without mechanical fastening and protects against both vapor and non-hydrostatic nuisance water migration.
LIQUID BOOT is available in various formulations to best mitigate specific vapor intrusion situations:
LIQUID BOOT - For moderate-risk underslab and below-grade vertical walls, LIQUID BOOT® is an effective vapor intrusion barrier for methane, CO2, and low-level VOCs such as BTEX and chlorinated solvents. It can also be used as a concrete water reservoir and tank liner to prevent water seepage into concrete.
LIQUID BOOT PLUS – For high-risk underslab and below-grade vertical walls, LIQUID BOOT® PLUS combines traditional Liquid Boot® spray-applied membrane with high-performance VI‑20™, a 20-mil polyethylene-EVOH copolymer membrane, to form a superior vapor intrusion barrier that’s ideal for VOCs including BTEX and chlorinated solvents.
Even greater contaminant resistance is achieved when LIQUID BOOT PLUS is installed with our GEOVENT gas venting system along with a course of our ULTRASHIELD non-woven geotextile protection to create a superior, highly-resistant protection barrier.
LIQUID BOOT LT - Designed for colder climates to allow for lower spraying temperature.
LIQUID BOOT 500 - For low-risk underslab applications, LIQUID BOOT 500 is an effective vapor intrusion barrier for methane and CO2. It has a reduced elasticity for a more economical choice.
|LIQUID BOOT||LIQUID BOOT Plus||LIQUID BOOT LT||LIQUID BOOT 500|
|Membrane (min. dry thickness)||LIQUID BOOT (60 mils)||LIQUID BOOT (60 mils)||LIQUID BOOT (60 mils)||LIQUID BOOT 500 (60 mils)|
|Substrate||Prepared concrete or BASEFABRIC||VI-20||Prepared concrete or BASEFABRIC||Prepared concrete or BASEFABRIC|
|Protection||ULTRASHIELD G-Series||ULTRASHIELD G-Series||ULTRASHIELD G-Series||ULTRASHIELD G-Series|
|Recommended applications||Methane, CO2, low levels of VOCs (BTEX, chlorinated solvents)||VOCs (BTEX, chlorinated solvents)||Methane, CO2, low levels of VOCs (BTEX, chlorinated solvents)||Methane, CO2|
|Applications||For moderate risk, horizontal & wall applications||For high risk, horizontal & wall applications||For moderate risk, horizontal & wall applications||For low risk, horizontal applications|
How it does it
LIQUID BOOT is a seamless, spray-applied rubberized asphalt formed from a waterborne emulsion and catalyst that are sprayed simultaneously from a dual-nozzle wand and combined with a geomembrane to create an effective protective barrier against vapor intrusion into a structure.
LIQUID BOOT PLUS combines the advantages of LIQUID BOOT with VI-20™, a seven-layer co-extruded EVOH geomembrane made using high quality virgin-grade polyethylene and barrier resins for impact strength and VOC vapor transmission resistance. EVOH is a copolymer of polyethylene, polyvinyl alcohol, and ethylene vinyl alcohol that demonstrates OC diffusion coefficients 20 times lower than 80 mil HDPE geomembrane to restrict methane, radon, and other harmful chemicals.
CETCO Quality Assurance
Our experienced technical managers can assist with the technical considerations and design of a vapor intrusion mitigation system, and recommend the best solution based on various site conditions. Our systems have proven performance with an extensive record of success.
With regulations, requirements, and guidance on the use of vapor intrusion barrier systems varying by location, CETCO can help you establish maximum risk criteria for indoor air quality and determine the appropriate vapor intrusion barrier system solution. CETCO maintains a nationwide network of certified installers and inspectors who are trained in proper installation and inspection procedures to ensure a successful installation. CETCO pioneered the use of the smoke test, where smoke is pumped under the membrane for a period of time and the membrane surface is observed for smoke to detect and immediately repair minute holes where the smoke is visible. Smoke testing is currently recognized by top guidance organizations as a reliable quality control method for vapor intrusion barrier systems.
CETCO - Pioneer and leader in environmental remediation
CETCO is the leader and pioneer in cutting-edge environmental products and solutions. Around the globe, our innovative teams of clay mineralogists, chemists, and polymer scientists transform ordinary minerals into extraordinary technology to solve day-to-day problems worldwide.
- Case Study: 500 Fifth Ave, Seattle - LIQUID BOOT® & ULTRASEAL® 923 KB
- Case Study: Droyers Point Brownfield - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 938 KB
- Case Study: El Centro Medical Clinic - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 876 KB
- Case Study: Fraternity Meadows Housing Development - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 827 KB
- Case Study: Hamlet Middle School - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 737 KB
- Case Study: Hollywood Casino - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 776 KB
- Case Study: Hollywood Film Processing Facility - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 622 KB
- Case Study: LIQUID BOOT® at Alamitos Ridge Housing Development 840 KB
- Case Study: LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier at Buffalo Wild Wings Restaurant 1343 KB
- Case Study: LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier at Canada Post Headquarters 815 KB
- Case Study: LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier with VI-20 at Chick-Fil-A Restaurant 971 KB
- Case Study: Lowe's - Vapor Intrusion Mitigation 122 KB
- Case Study: Meadows at Riverwalk - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 1013 KB
- Case Study: Mott Haven School - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 790 KB
- Case Study: Multi-Family Housing Project on Former Superfund Site Contaminated with PCE, Metals, Arsenic 174 KB
- Case Study: Palisades Multi-Family Housing Development - LIQUID BOOT® 604 KB
- Case Study: Pan Am Athletes Village - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 765 KB
- Case Study: Red Bull Arena - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 800 KB
- Case Study: Rite Aid Pharmacy - LIQUID BOOT® 797 KB
- Case Study: Sienna Place Homes - LIQUID BOOT® 753 KB
- Case Study: Smith Performing Arts Center - LIQUID BOOT® & ULTRASEAL® 499 KB
- Case Study: Spring Hill Suites - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 501 KB
- Case Study: Toronto Fire Services - LIQUID BOOT® Vapor Barrier 1037 KB
|Gas Vapor Mitigation System Supports $400 Million Redevelopment Project- Environmental Science & Engineering Magazine, October 2019|