Waste Not, Want Not
With proven waste containment technology, our Geosynthetic Clay Liners (GCLs) can protect against contamination from a wide spectrum of waste materials. With a full range of product formulations combined with our proven expertise, we engineer solutions customized for individual site requirements.
No matter your site challenges, CETCO can help you meet them.
Why geosynthetic containment systems?
Featuring our proprietary, high-density needlepunched construction, CETCO GCLs outperform compacted clay liners in both performance and ease-of-installation. GCLs provide significant advantages over compacted clay, including:
- Increased hydraulic performance - At a thickness of less than an inch, GCLs outperform compacted clay liners that are several dozen times thicker
- Self-sealing and self-seaming - CETCO GCLs combine two kinds of barriers—passive and active—to substantially reduce the possibility for leaks. The traditional passive membrane barrier blocks water, while the active volcanic bentonite component of the core absorbs up to fifteen times its volume—it expands to self-seam at overlaps and seal cracks and penetrations, using the very pressure of the water itself to fill and block any gap
- Shear strength - for greater stability under cross-stresses
- Slope stability - to maintain even distribution of active components on steeper inclines
- Resistance to varying weather conditions - extends relatively short construction seasons at some sites by holding up to freeze-thaw cycles better than compacted clay
Easily configured for a wide range of applications, GCLs provide increased durability and consistent performance and are increasingly replacing compacted clay liners in applications including:
GCLs can replace compacted clay in liner systems required in many regulations. They effectively minimize system leakage by providing "intimate contact" with the overlying geomembrane. This allows a GCL-based liner to outperform a compacted clay-based system. Another popular design option is to combine a geomembrane, a GCL and a partial thickness of a low permeability soil to maximize both hydraulic performance and puncture protection.
GCLs are increasingly being used as the sole hydraulic barrier for landfill caps in preference to geomembrane and compacted clay. They have good slope stability characteristics and do not require geotextile protection. They can be installed in less than perfect ground and weather conditions and often do not require the preparation of special subgrade and cover soils. GCLs are resistant to freeze/thaw, desiccation/rewetting and differential settlement, all of which can damage traditional compacted clay liners.
The insight and help you need
Our experience and application knowledge provide you insight into project design. In addition to offering high quality products, CETCO provides unparalleled technical support. Our multi-disciplinary technical staff are recognized subject matter experts, fluent in our products and technologies with application experience throughout the world. We are here to provide the solution for your project’s unique challenges. Contact your local CETCO technical sales manager about any of our environmental products for your next project.
CETCO - Pioneer and leader in environmental products
CETCO is the leader and pioneer in cutting-edge environmental solutions. Around the globe for the last half-century, our innovative teams of clay mineralogists, chemists, and polymer scientists transform ordinary minerals into extraordinary technology to solve day-to-day problems worldwide.
- Case Study: BENTOMAT® GCL at Agrium Phosphate Mine Tailing Storage Facility 813 KB
- Case Study: Duck Creek Coal Ash Disposal - BENTOMAT® SDN GCL 816 KB
- Case Study: Fresh Kills Landfill 177 KB
- Case Study: Mallorca, Spain Coal Ash Landfill Cap - RESISTEX® ST GCL 513 KB
- Case Study: New Jersey Brownfield Redevelopment - BENTOMAT® SDN GCL 830 KB
We build all of our GCLs to be compliant with GRI-GCL3 and their guide specifications can be found for use on the Geosynthetic Institute website.
|How CETCO Helped to Cap a Coal Ash Landfill in Mallorca, Spain - Waste Advantage Magazine, December 2019|
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® 200R GCL 189 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® 600CL GCL 272 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® CL GCL 266 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® CLT GCL 265 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® CLT-20 GCL 275 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® DN GCL 188 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® DN-9 GCL 190 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® FLW GCL 191 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® ST GCL 189 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: BENTOMAT® STM GCL 189 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: RESISTEX® 100DN9 Geosynthetic Clay Liner 93 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: RESISTEX® 101ST Geosynthetic Clay Liner 107 KB
- Technical Data Sheet: RESISTEX® U20ST Geosynthetic Clay Liner 98 KB